Saturday, October 25, 2008

Daughter-ism Classic

My daughter (age 3), for reasons not entirely yet defined, woke very early this morning - and couldn't re-settle to sleep. First hubby spent some time trying to settle her - she was still tired! - but he needed to rise to get ready for work before she had returned to slumber. I took the next shift with her - starting first rocking with her in her chair then moving quietly to her bed. Throughout this time, I had been gently tickling her arms and back - something she's always enjoyed, even as an infant.
In moving to her bed, I'd quietly negotiated in whispered tones - "mommy will tickle for one more minute, then we'll sit quietly for 5 minutes". This forewarning proves quite effective with our little tart in most situations and faced no resistance in these wee morning hours either. A minute later, the gentle tickles stopped and a moment later I hear in a tiny little whisper..."will you tickle my arm pit?"

"No baby, it's time to settle quietly for 5 minutes."

"Mommy, can you tickle my arm pit?" - she's now draped her appendage across my face & neck to encourage this motion.

This entire dialogue could not be heard by the dogs...it was that hushed.

"No baby, I'm not discussing this...we had a deal...5 minutes quiet".

Next, and without pause...she responds with...

"This is ridiculous..."

No comments: