Wednesday, April 2, 2008

An Excerpt From "Water For Elephants" - Book Club April 14th



An excerpt - P118, Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen
I open the orangutan's door and set a pan of fruits, vegetables, and nuts on the floor. As I close it, her long arm reaches through the bars. She points at an orange in another pan.
"That? You want that?"
She continues to point, blinking at me with close-set eyes. Her features are concave, her face a wide platter fringed with red hair. She's the most outrageous and beautiful thing I've ever seen.
"Here," I say, handing her the orange. "You can have it."
She takes it and sets it on the floor. Then she reaches out again. After several seconds of serious misgivings, I hold out my hand. She wraps her long fingers around it, then lets go. She sits on her haunches and peels her orange.
I stare in amazement. She was thanking me.
***********>


Why do I like this passage so much? It speaks to me metaphorically - I'll tell you about that at the Book Club - I'd love if you could join us. Send your registration to tracey@gingerbreadlane.ca or call 905-271-2900

Tracey

No comments: