Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Secret Life of Bees - Poignant Statements



"The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd


I've wrested this book from my mom, who had borrowed in on the promise to have it returned to me in time to read - and appreciate - before the June book club. Having only just begun, I am thoroughly enjoying Sue Monk Kidd's ability to define ideas in a manner that made me realize I'd not only not "thought of it that way" but also "didn't realize I was thinking of it at all". Her ability to define a piece of your spirit has me intrigued and I'm curious to read more. I'll entice you with two of the quotes that I read last night and continue to dance in my mind today.


"I think there must be a place inside of us where dreams go and wait their turn."
--as a mom, this one truly speaks to me

"I worried so much about how I looked and whether I was doing things right, I felt half the time I was impersonating a girl instead of really being one."
--so eloquent! I did not know I had felt the same as a young girl, until she put the very thought into words

Oh, I'm eager to read on and feel the story develop. I am already on edge about T.Ray....

Perhaps you'll join me for the June Book club - Tuesday June 17th (7-9p) - email tracey@gingerbreadlane.ca if you are interested.

No comments: