Monday, February 18, 2008

Book Club - It's Almost Here!

Ok good people - can I tell you how much I'm looking forward to this Wednesday's Book Club?? I've been eagerly awaiting this get-together since the beginning of January (alright, not forever but it feels like it!) and I'm currently buzzing through the book a second time and enjoying it just as much repeated. This is the first book that I've read back-to-back like this. I've enjoyed many conversations already about it - ranging from "is this for real?" to "loved Italy, loved India, loved Indonesia!"

I think it'll be a grand conversation - will you join us? You may not be finished the book - or even started it - but the book's got enough buzz to get you involved.

Here's a thought to leave you with...loving Elizabeth Gilbert's personification of Depression and Loneliness, describing them as a very real presence in her life.

"Depression and Loneliness track me down after about ten days in Italy...They come upon me all silent and menacing like Pinkerton Detectives and they flank me - Depression on my left, Loneliness on my right...Then they frisk me. They empty my pockets of any joy I had been carrying there. Depression even confiscates my identity; but he always does that...he just gives me that dark smile, settles into my favourite chair, puts his feet on my table and lights a cigar, filling the place with his awful smoke. Loneliness watches and sighs, then climbs into my bed and pulls the covers over himself, fully dressed, shoes and all. He's going to make me sleep with him again tonight, I just know it." (pages 46-48)

If you'd like to join us on Wednesday, we'd love to see you - email tracey@gingerbreadlane.ca for more info or to register your participation

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a great time at the book club tonight and enjoyed meeting everyone. Looking forward to meeting next month and discussing Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, fantastic book!

Janice

Anonymous said...

p.s. are you sure that coffee was decaffinated? Maybe it's just the thrill of being out, by myself, engaging in adult conversation that has me wired :)

Amanda said...

I also had a great time and can't wait to discuss Snow Flower next month! Although, I think we could do another entire evening of discussing "eat love pray'!!